Friday, May 05, 2006

Superman Who?

Superhero Hype has recently posted the first installment of a visit to the set of Superman Returns, the latest installment of the Big Screen Superman mythos set to release June 30, 2006.

The introductory paragraph got me to thinking about my own "love affair" of sorts with the iconic figure, and how it's affected my own life. As I've stated in a previous post, I've loved Superman since I was just a kid. My mother still has a storage trunk full of drawings I'd done as a child, most of them were drawings of superheroes, and in particular Superman. I played with the Mego Superman Action figure as a kid, just like the guy in the article, and still have quite a collection of Superman related memorabilia as you can see below.


















I've recently begun collecting the Adventures of Superman DVD box sets, Season 1 and Season 2 are now available. I've really enjoyed watching these episodes from the 50's TV series as it takes me back to my childhood, marveling at the exploits of the small screen superhero. I remember particulary, Summer afternoons at my grandparents house sitting on the floor watching these shows. And yes, they were definitely in reruns by the time I was watching them. ;)

Flash forward a few years to when I had this poster on my wall after the debut of the 1978 Superman movie. I still have fond memories, of seeing this with my father and my little brother. I can still remember the breathless anticipation standing in line for the movie.

Needless to say, I can relate to the writer in the article I mentioned at the top of the page, I'm looking forward to this new movie. I still think the new Superman is a bit young, and a bit scrawny, but I'm excited even still. Especially after having seen the latest trailer for the movie. It'll be great to see how the latest technological advances in film-making will translate to this new film.






No comments: